Preparing for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
You can’t stop a tropical storm or hurricane, but you can take steps now to protect yourself and your family.
- Get emergency supplies: Stock your home and your car with supplies. Give yourself more time than usual to prepare your emergency food, water, and medical supplies.
- Make a plan: Create a family disaster plan.
- Prepare to Evacuate: Never ignore an evacuation order. Pay attention to local guidance about updated plans for evacuations and shelters.
- Protect older adults: Understand older adult health and medical concerns.
- Protect your pets: Ensure your pet’s safety before, during, and after a hurricane.
- Print important documents (emergency phone numbers, insurance information) before a hurricane strikes. Power outages during and after a hurricane can prevent you from accessing information online when you most need it.